critical thinking chicano studies
For your paper I want you to identify a contemporary issue that can be explained by Kimberle Crenshaw's intersectionality article. For instance, in 2015 more transgender people were murdered than any other year despite advances in marriage equality and recently enacted federal and state laws defining such acts as hate crimes and thus imposing stiffer criminal penalties. Every transgender person murdered in 2015 was a person of color.
I want a 5 to 7 page piece that identifies an issue that can be explained in terms of intersectionality. Address the following:
1) What is the issue?
2) Provide data, narrative(s), storytelling, court rulings, research findings to show that it exists as an issue. You can use news articles as well.
3) How would intersectionality explain the issue? Provide at least three ways to explain the issue. You can also rely on the implicit bias materials and chapters III and IV in the Critical Race Theory book.
4) How personal is the issue to you? Do you believe you are harmed by or contribute to the harm in the issue you have identified?
5) What potential laws or policies would you propose to help remedy or prevent the issues?
6) For extra credit cite Margarete Montoya's "Mascaras, Trenzas, y Grenas" piece or Michelle Alexander's "New Jim Crow." If you cite these sources you paper must be at least two pages longer. If you cite an issue involving education you can also use "Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria?"
The paper should inform me, convince me that the issue you've identified cannot be explained in terms of race, gender, or class alone. You essentially need more than one category of discrimination to explain the issue. Also remember that the issue can't always be explained fully for the perspective of the victim: you should take into account what may be causing the issue. Who is profiting? Where and how are power and privilege exercised?