Comprehensive master budget in a retail setting (LO 3, 4, 5) Joseph A. Knab distributes men's suits in
the Southwest. The following information was gathered to prepare the budget for the third quarter of
• Suits are budgeted to sell for an average price of $225. Unit sales are expected to be as follows:
June 4,000 suits
July 4,500 suits
August 4,700 suits
September 4,600 suits
October 4,600 suits
• Sales are made for cash and on credit. The following collection pattern is used to estimate monthly
Cash sales 41%
Credit sales—month of sale 35
Credit sales—month after sale 20
• The company tries to maintain an inventory of 25 percent of the following month's sales. The
company expects to have 1,125 suits on hand on June 30, 2011. Knab pays an average of $146 per
• The company pays for 70 percent of its purchases in the month of purchase and the remaining 30
percent in the month after purchase.
• The following monthly selling and administrative expenses are planned for the quarter, though
advertising will have a one‐time $30,000 increase in August.
Fixed Overhead Variable Cost/Unit
Depreciation $ 9,000
Bad debts $9.00
• On September 30, the company plans to purchase $45,000 of new office equipment. However, no
additional depreciation will be recorded in the third quarter.
• Knab wants to maintain a minimum cash balance of $20,000. An open line of credit at a local
bank allows the company to borrow up to $100,000 per quarter in $1,000 increments.
• All borrowing is done at the beginning of the month, and all repayments are made at the end of a
month in $1,000 increments. Accrued interest is paid only when principal is repaid. The interest
rate is 12 percent per year.
• Accrued expenses from the second quarter will be paid in July.
• Knab's tax rate is 30 percent.
• The June 30, 2011 balance sheet is budgeted as follows:
Cash $ 21,000
Accounts receivable 180,000
Plant & equipment 540,000
Accumulated depreciation (135,000)
Total assets $770,250
Accounts payable $175,000
Accrued expenses 75,000
Common stock 300,000
Retained earnings 220,250
Total liabilities and equities $770,250
a. Prepare all components of Knab's master budget for the third quarter of 2011.
b. Prepare a pro‐forma income statement for the third quarter of 2011.
c. Prepare a pro‐forma balance sheet as of September 30, 2011.
Purchase the answer to view it