Using the communication process as an organizing framework for our class, we have discussed “self” as communicator and listening. This week we will be emphasizing the message —both verbal and nonverbal. Nonverbal messages include all elements that are not linguistic/language based. The field of communication refers to different types of nonverbal messages as “codes,” for example: facial expression, haptics, proxemics, chronemics, kinesics, etc. These codes are controlled by social norms, or social rules and expectations about appropriateness.
Today, you are going to experience the interplay of nonverbals and social norms.
- Choose a specific nonverbal code from the types listed in our text (don’t use the proxemic example below, choose another code.)
- Determine what rules/norms exist regarding this code (these are often unwritten).
- Choose several locations—on campus, at home, at work etc.
- Break the social norm/rule in these locations/contexts.
- Observe/reflect on the reactions to this behavior—your own and that of others.
- Post a thorough response to this assignment detailing your experiences and reflections.
- Have fun….and be safe!
An example: I decide to experiment with the nonverbal code of proxemics or messages that we send based on our use of space and distance. There is a relationship between how well we know a person and how close we sit, stand, if we touch, etc. So, I will break this expectation in several locations/situations. I will enter an elevator and stand super close to someone; I will choose a desk right beside a classmate even when there are other desk choices, etc.
there is no need for too much info also please use simple english
i am international student the basic and simple einglish that u use
the more helpful for my grade in the class. thank you
- 7 years ago
- str 581 week 4 Strategic Choice and Evaluation only for prof.goodman
- MKTG Questions *Re-post*
- ISCOM/383 ISCOM 383 ISCOM383 Week 5 - Learning Team Assignment - Impact of Technology in Toyota’s Cuban Business Venture Paper - A+ & Original Guaranteed from an A+ rated tutor!
- CRJ 301 MODULE 2 HOMEWORK
- For Soultion Pro: 7/16/2014
- I need this by weekend
- Critiquing Internet Sources
- Module 6 reflection essay
- Module 3 Case
- MARKET AUDIT AND COMPETITIVE MARKET ANALYSIS