Openness About Ethical Issues
You are the chief executive officer (CEO) of MetaLife, a major life insurance company that has received negative exposure about deceptive practices in its sales division. MetaLife just settled a class-action lawsuit last month. You receive a call from the television show 60 Minutesrequesting an interview concerning the allegations and the class-action lawsuit. The corporate legal team does not object to the interview, and you feel that it is important not to “hide” from the public’s eye. You agree to be interviewed.
Based on your understanding of the scenario, respond to the following:
- Evaluate the different approaches to the interview that you can consider. Then, explain how you will handle this interview.
- Outline and justify your selected approach to the interview, explaining why you would choose one approach over another.
- Will you try to defend your company and rationalize what happened to play down the ill effects? Why or why not?
- Will you openly admit to the lack of a stringent sales compliance procedure in your company and offer a public apology? Why or why not?
- Provide a substantial explanation of the ethical implications you considered before choosing an approach.
- How will your approach to the interview impact the organization’s sales strategy moving forward?
Be sure to cite theories and industry references to support your response.
Write a 3–5-page, double-spaced paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
- 6 years ago