- Field: Business & Finance
Assignment 2: Management – Offshore Outsourcing
Although offshore software outsourcing might benefit individual firms, its broader social impact is less clear. Companies that outsource their software work may be eliminating jobs of their own employees or employees of the domestic software industry. As the practice becomes widespread, will countries whose jobs are going overseas wind up with mass unemployment or higher productivity and better jobs. In this exercise, we examine both sides of the debate.
Hamm, S. (Aug 20, 2007). How to keep your job onshore. Business Week, (4047), 68.
Pellet, J. (Sep 2007). The new logic of offshoring. Chief Executive, (228), 36–41.
Modarress, B., and Ansari, A. (Summer 2007). The economic, technological, and national security risks of offshore outsourcing. Journal of Global Business Issues, 1(2), 165–175.
Use the above sources, the material in the textbook, assigned articles and other sources to address the following questions:
- Does offshore outsourcing create an ethical dilemma? Why or why not?
- Should offshore outsourcing be restricted? How? Why or why not?
- How could the outsourcing of jobs lead to the creation of new jobs in the United States? Explain.
- WIPRO is one of India's largest outsourcing firms.
- Visit its site at www.wipro.com.
- Click on the Corporate button on the right side of the page and select “Investors” and read their current annual report.
- On a spreadsheet, chart their revenue, operating margin, and profit growth for the years reported.
- Answer the following questions:
- How fast did WIPRO grow in the last year?
- What are some of the limitations on this growth in the next five years
Your response should be a 2–4 page Microsoft Word document, double spaced, and in 12 point Times New Roman or New Courier font. All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources. Be sure to cite the references you used.