A number of states and city government have passed criminal laws to regulate gang behavior. In some places, it’s a crime to participate in a gang. Some statutes and ordinances have stiffened the penalties for crimes committed by gang members. Others make it a crime to encourage minors to participate in gangs. Some have applied organized crime statues to gangs. A few have even punished parents for their children’s gang activities. Cities have also passed ordinances banning gang members from certain public places, particularly city parks.
A small juvenile gang composed of no more than 20 members has been active in the community recently. Their members have been linked to drug sales, assaults, thefts and graffiti. The gang is multi-racial and appears to be led by a slightly older person, who is about 20 years of age. As a gang suppression officer with your local police department, what approach would you take to reduce or eliminate these gang problems?
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you create an ordinance to be presented to City Council for adoption following these instructions:
- Write a detailed description of at least five (5) alternatives to joining gangs. Next of the five (5) alternatives you proposed which alternative do you believe is the best in keeping individuals from joining a gang? Justify your response.
- Write a detailed description of two (2) laws you want passed for prosecuting juveniles for joining a gang in your city. Justify your rationale for the creation of these laws.
- Define three (3) consequences of being arrested for crimes committed while in a gang. In your opinion which of your listed consequences do you believe has the most impact on an individual’s life? Provide support for your response.
- Suggest five (5) long-term impacts of joining a gang. Of the five (5) long-term effects of joining a gang which impact do you believe has the most impact on an individual’s future? Provide support for your response.
- Propose three (3) reasons why your new ordinance will be successful. Suggest two (2) perceptions the public may have with the creation and enactment of your new ordinance. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
Assignment 3: Gang Prevention Continuum
Due Week 9
A number of states and city government have passed criminal laws to regulate gang behavior. In some places, it’s a crime to participate in a gang. …