Application: Reflective Journal
Before you write your third journal entry, bring to mind the video segment, "Cultural and Linguistic Diversity" in which Dr. Eugene Garcia talks about the tremendous influence that the first few years of life have on individuals, explaining that the "roots" one develops through early experiences are essential to the development of that person. Think about the roots that have influenced your life and your learning. In what ways are you a product of how and where you were raised as a child? What role has culture and/or language played in making you the person you are today?
- For the first portion of your journal entry this week, read over the responses you wrote earlier in the course to the question: Who Am I? Then add at least three additional responses to this question in relation to your knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs about culture, linguistic diversity, and the natural environment.
For your journal entry this week, review the questions below and then select three or more to write about:
- How would you describe your cultural and linguistic roots and the influence they have had on your life and your learning?
- How much has your identity been shaped by your culture?
- In what ways has your culture been taught to you?
- How connected do you feel to the place where you live—the climate, landforms, vegetation and animal life?
- How do people in your family and community relate to each other? How do they define success? What are their aspirations? Fears? How are these reflected in their child-rearing processes?
- What traditions, rituals, and celebrations are important to you and your family?
- How have your culture and your life experiences affected your relationships with and understanding of persons who are culturally different from you?
- What more would you like to learn about your own culture and/or the culture of others in order to better understand yourself and ways you can work respectfully and responsively with young children and their families?
Assignment length: 2–3 pages
Submit this assignment by Day 7 of this week.