In 1910 Rutherford performed a classic experiment in which he directed a beam of alpha particles at a thin gold...aksoccer03
In 1910 Rutherford performed a classic experiment in which he directed a beam of alpha particles at a thin gold foil. He unexpectedly observed a few of the particles scattered almost directly backward. This result was not consistent with then current models of atomic structure and led Rutherford to propose the existence of a very dense concentration of positive charge at the center of an atom—the atomic nucleus. The alpha particle has a charge of +2e and the gold nucleus a charge of +79e. Suppose that an alpha particle is initially a great distance from the gold, has a kinetic energy of 5.87 MeV (5.87*10^6 eV), and is headed directly at a gold nucleus. How close will the particle come to the center of the nucleus? Treat the nucleus and the alpha particle as point charges.
- 9 years ago
- Determine the impact of this event on ARC’s “benefits of business ethics” (employee commitment, investor loyalty, customer satisfaction, and bottom...
- Which details in this selection poke fun at the way knights dress.
- Which of the following is the best method for making predictions in a piece of literature? make predictions at the...
- Graph a system of equations to solve (x-1)2+2=3x-1
- What maximum mass can be lifted 45 ft with a moor that produces 15 hp
- Express each ratio in simplest form 1:5= :10
- A shipping company uss a formula to determine the cost for shipping a package: c=2.79+0.38p where c is the cost of...
- Assume the market price of a 5-year bond for Margaret Inc. is $900, and it has a par value of $1,000. The bond has an annual interest rate of 6% that is paid semi-annually. What is the yield to maturity of the bond?