Assignment 1—Gross Domestic Product and Purchasing Power Parity
The CFO of GBATT is not only concerned about the exchange rates of the different currencies in the countries where GBATT operates, but is also concerned about the purchasing power of the target customers in the various countries. The CFO has asked you to provide a document comparing and contrasting the gross domestic product (GDP) and the purchasing power parity (PPP) of five (5) different countries.
Using the University online library resources and reliable and reputable Internet sites, do the following:
- Select five countries and list their GDPs and their PPPs. Use the same year for the data for each country.
- Compare and contrast the relationships between the chosen countries’ GDPs and their PPPs.
- What does the data indicate about business decisions related to GBATT targeting customers in each of those countries?
- Support your positions with scholarly sources.
By Thursday, September 20, 2014, post your responses to the appropriate Discussion Area.
Write your initial response in 300–400 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Assignment 2:—Financial Position Analysis
In this assignment, you will write a paper in which you will analyze an income statement, identify risks, and identify funding choices for a business that is expanding globally.
Your employer, Getting Bigger All The Time, Inc. (GBATT), a multinational corporation headquartered in the United States of America, is looking to expand operations into Brazil. GBATT manufacturers a variety of materials used in the residential and commercial building industries. The Brazilian economy has continued to expand, even in the current global economic downturn, and sales of GBATT materials to Brazilian companies have greatly increased. GBATT is exploring the possibility of building a new manufacturing facility in Brazil, not only to meet the increasing Brazilian demand, but also in anticipation of increased demand in other South American and Latin American countries once the global recession is completely over.
GBATT Income Statement for Years Ending December 31 ($ millions)
% of total sales
% of total sales
Variable operating costs (78% of sales)
Fixed operating costs except depreciation
Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation,
Earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT)
Earnings before taxes (EBT)
The CFO has asked you to analyze the information to help the decision makers select among different options. He asked that your analysis include the following topics:
- Operational Performance: Write a brief analysis of GBATT’s operational performance. Include discussion of the year over year performance.
- Financial Markets and Funding Choices: Analyze the choices of funding for the new plant. Your analysis should include:
- Debt Financing
- Compare currency denomination choices for debt, and if debt is selected for financing suggest whether the debt should be denominated in U.S. dollars or Brazilian reals.
- Compare centralized and decentralized denomination of debt and its effect on the debt issuance.
- Determine if a fixed or a floating debt rate should be used.
- Equity Financing: Examine whether equity should be domestically listed in a single exchange, or cross-listed in multiple exchanges around the world. What are some advantages and disadvantages of each
- Debt Financing