The Pythagorean Theorem
Assignment 1: The Pythagorean Theorem
Geometry is a very broad field of mathematics composed of a wide range of tools that can be used for problem solving. In this module, you are going to research three examples of the implementation of geometry that would employ the use of the Pythagorean Theorem as a problem-solving tool.
The examples you find can come from several different fields of study and applications such as construction, city planning, highway maintenance, art, architecture, and communications, to name a few. The examples you find must clearly demonstrate the use of the Pythagorean Theorem as a tool. Your textbook—Chapter 10, “Modeling with Geometry”—would be a good reference to consult for some examples illustrating the use of the Pythagorean Theorem in applied situations.
For each example you share in your post, address the following:
- Demonstrate the use of the Pythagorean Theorem in the solution of this problem.
- How is the Pythagorean Theorem applied to help solve this problem in this application?
- Why would the Pythagorean Theorem be applied instead of employing some other mathematical tool?
- What tools, unique to this application, would be necessary to get the measurements needed to apply the Pythagorean Theorem?
- Are there other geometrical concepts that are necessary to know in order to solve this problem?
- Are there any modern tools that help solve this kind of problem that either provide a work around, or that rely heavily upon, the Pythagorean Theorem?
When constructing your response, consider the theories, examples, and concepts discussed in your readings this module, and refer to them to support your conclusions.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 200 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, April 13, 2013, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, April 17, 2013, review the postings of your peers and respond to at least two of them. Consider commenting on the following:
- What other geometrical tools do you feel are necessary to understand in order to solve the examples provided besides the Pythagorean Theorem?
- Do you think we would have the technology that we have today without knowledge of mathematical problem-solving tools such as the Pythagorean Theorem? Explain.
the Pythagorean Theorem
body preview (1 words)
file1.doc preview (317 words)
Running xxxxx PYTHAGOREAN THEOREM � xxxx \* MERGEFORMAT �1� PYTHAGOREAN THEOREM xxx PAGE xx MERGEFORMAT �2�
The xxxxxxxxxxx Theorem in construction
xxxxxxx housing xxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxx xx xxxx xxxxxxx the application xx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx The Theorem is used xx almost all the phases xx xxxx construction. xxxxxxxx include xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxx construction, and wall xxxxxxxxx xxxx architects xxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx Theorem xxx used xx xxxxxxx Egyptians xx xxx in place the xxxxxx xxxxxxx of xxxxx fields. xxxx was xxxxxxxxxxxx in a simple yet effective xxxxxxx
In solving xxx xxxxxxxx xxx Egyptian architects xxxx xxxxx xxxxx stakes xxxxxxxxx in a triangle xxx along the rope xxxxxxx in xxxxxx similar lengths. The xxxx xx xxxx stretched around three stakes until x point where there are xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx the xxxxx and xxx second xxxxxxx This eventually led xx the xxxxxxxxx of xxx xxxxxxxxxxx
The xxx xx Pythagorean xxxxxxx xx roofing xxxxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xx xxxx important xx xxxxxxxxxxxx construction. This xx attributed xx xxxxxxxxxx xxx its accuracy. Other xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxx and in-efficient xx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Some of xxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx regarding xxx xxxxxxx xxx such that xxxx an xxxxxxxxx is referring to x right xxxxxx one
- - - more text follows - - -
Try it before you buy it