Antitrust Practices and Market Power
Question: Antitrust Practices and Market Power
Research authoritative articles using the news and the DeVry Online Library (http://library.devry.edu) for a recent case of antitrust investigation. You are free to choose a case from any industry and any part of the world. Based on the case you have selected, answer the following questions.
- Why was/were the firm(s) investigated for antitrust behavior?
- Identify some of the costs (pecuniary and nonpecuniary) associated with the antitrust behavior (firms having power in the market). Additionally, note the specific antitrust act (Sherman Act, Clayton Act, etc.) under which the violation was investigated.
- Given your research and findings, are monopolies and oligopolies (firms demonstrating power) always bad for society? Be sure to provide real world examples of where this may be the case to strengthen your position.
- Provide at least one example of a case where having a monopoly or oligopoly may actually benefit the society.
Based on your findings to the questions listed above, write a report with a minimum of 300 words in essay format in APA style (use the APA template in Doc Sharing), using correct economic terms covered in the discussions. If you ONLY write 300 words, you probably won’t be able to fully answer the questions.
Key concepts to include in your paper include the following.
- Monopoly Market Structure
- Oligopoly Market Structure
- Barriers to Entry Into the Market
- Natural Monopoly
- Government Monopoly
- Downward Sloping Demand Curve
- Economies of Scale
- Price Fixing
- Monopoly Pricing
- Price Maker
- Market Power
- Economic Profits
- Imperfect Competition
- Rent-Seeking Behavior
- Deadweight Loss to Society
- Marginal Cost
- Marginal Revenue
You must use at minimum at least one article from the DeVry Online Library. Note: Although your textbook is a good source of knowledge, it is NOT an article and cannot be the only source for the assignment. Cite all your references in APA format. You can use the Citations & Bibliography function of Microsoft Word, which is found under the References tab.
Writing in APA format [Use APA template in Doc Sharing]:
Title page or name on paper
Body of paper paragraph(s) with in-text citations provided for sources used
original answers to your assignment with references
body preview (0 words)
file1.doc preview (935 words)
In xxxx paper x xxxx discussed about why Microsoft xxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx x xxxx xxxx discussed xxx xxxxxxxxxx is bad xxx xxx society and also x xxxx also given xx example xx a xxxx where xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx be x good thing.
Microsoft have been xxxxx xxxxxx in xxxxxxxxx the Window family of operating xxxxxxx for xxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxx xx produces applications xxx xxx software which xxx xx xxx xxxxxxx family xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx had xxxxxxxx its Windows operating system xx Personal xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx that they along xxxx OS xxxx xxxx xxx xx charge) xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx If xxx xxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx are in xxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx then this arrangement xx x so-called "tying agreement" xxxxxxxxx xx x 1995 xxxxxxx xxxxxx between xxxxxxxxx and xxx xxxxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxx Microsoft was investigated xxx xxxxxxxxx behavior after there were reports that xxxxxxxxx xxx abusing xxxxx xxxxxxxx as xxx leading
- - - more text follows - - -
Try it before you buy it