1. (TCO A) A corporation has which of the following sets of characteristics? (Points : 5) ...
1. (TCO A) A corporation has which of the following sets of characteristics? (Points : 5)
Shared control, tax advantages, increased skills, and resources
Simple to set up and maintains control with the founder
Easier to transfer ownership and raise funds, no personal liability for stockholders
Harder to raise funds and gives owner control
2. (TCO A) The Dividends account _____. (Points : 5)
is increased with a debit
is decreased with a credit
is not an expense account
All of the above
3. (TCOs A, B) Denton Company showed the following balances at the end of its first year:
Prepaid insurance 700
Accounts receivable 3,500
Accounts payable 2,800
Notes payable 4,200
Common stock 1,400
What did Denton Company show as total credits on its trial balance? (Points : 5)
4. (TCOs B, E) Under the accrual basis of accounting, _____. (Points : 5)
cash must be received before revenue is recognized
net income is calculated by matching cash outflows against cash inflows
events that change a company's financial statements are recognized in the period they occur rather than in the period in which cash is paid or received
the ledger accounts must be adjusted to reflect a cash basis of accounting before financial statements are prepared under generally accepted accounting principles
5. (TCO D) In a period of increasing prices, which inventory cost flow assumption will result in the lowest amount of income tax expense? (Points : 5)
The average cost method
Income tax expense for the period will be the same under all assumptions.
6. (TCOs A, E) Equipment was purchased for $60,000. Freight charges amounted to $2,800 and there was a cost of $8,000 for building a foundation and installing the equipment. It is estimated that the equipment will have a $12,000 salvage value at the end of its 5-year useful life. Depreciation expense each year using the straight-line method will be _____. (Points : 5)
7. (TCOs D, G) Mendez Corporation issues 2,000 ten-year, 8%, $1,000 bonds dated January 1, 2007, at 103. The journal entry to record the issuance will show a _____. (Points : 5)
debit to Cash of $2,000,000
debit to Premium on Bonds Payable for $60,000
credit to Bonds Payable for $2,000,000
credit to Cash for $2,060,000
8. (TCO C) Accounts receivable arising from sales to customers amounted to $40,000 and $35,000 at the beginning and end of the year, respectively. Income reported on the income statement for the year was $110,000. Exclusive of the effect of other adjustments, the cash flows from operating activities to be reported on the statement of cash flows is _____. (Points : 5)
9. (TCO F) One variation of the horizontal analysis is known as _____. (Points : 5)
10. (TCO F) Comparisons of data within a company are an example of the following comparative basis. (Points : 5)
11. (TCO F) Which one of the following is not a characteristic generally evaluated in ratio analysis? (Points : 5)
Marketability of the product
12. (TCO F) A common measure of liquidity is _____. (Points : 5)
return on assets
debt to equity
13. (TCO F) Long-term creditors are usually most interested in evaluating _____. (Points : 5)
14. (TCO G) To calculate the market value of a bond, we need to _____. (Points : 5)
find out the present value of all of the future cash payments promised by the bond
calculate the present value of the principal only
calculate the present value of the interest only
multiply the bond price by the interest rate
1. (TCO A) The partial financial statement items below were taken from the financial statements of Prone, Inc. This information can be used to correctly solve each of the ratios below. The information is in alphabetical order.
Accounts payable $ 28,000 Net income $ 48,000
Accounts receivable 66,000 Other current liabilities 17,000
Cash 54,000 Total assets 250,000
Gross profit 160,000 Total liabilities 200,000
Income before income taxes 54,000 Wages payable 5,000
Additional information: The number of average common shares outstanding during the year was 40,000.
Instructions: Compute the following.
a) Current ratio
b) Working capital
c) Earnings per share
d) Debt-to-total-assets ratio
To earn full credit, you must show the formula you are using, show your computations and explain the meaning of each of your ratio results.
(Points : 30)
2. (TCOs B, E) These financial statement items are for Snyder Corporation at year-end, July 31, 2010.
Salaries payable $ 2,580
Salaries expense 48,700
Utilities expense 22,600
Accounts payable 4,100
Commission revenue 61,100
Rent revenue 8,500
Long-term note payable 1,800
Common stock 16,000
Accounts receivable 9,780
Accumulated depreciation 6,000
Depreciation expense 4,000
Retained earnings (beginning of the year) 35,200
Instructions: Prepare an income statement and a retained earnings statement for the year. (Points : 30)
3. (TCO D) The Oxford Company has budgeted sales revenues as follows.
Jan Feb Mar
Credit sales $240,000 $192,000 $144,000
Cash sales 144,000 408,000 312,000
Total sales 384,000 600,000 456,000
Past experience indicates that 60% of the credit sales will be collected in the month of sale and the remaining 40% will be collected in the following month.
Purchases of inventory are all on credit, with 60% paid in the month of purchase and 40% in the month following purchase. Budgeted inventory purchases are $520,000 in January, $360,000 in February, and $168,000 in March.
Other budgeted cash receipts include (a) the sale of plant assets for $98,800 in February and (b) the sale of new common stock for $134,800 in March. Other budgeted cash disbursements include (a) operating expenses of $54,000 each month, (b) selling and administrative expenses of $100,000 each month, (c) dividends of $152,000 to be paid in February, and (d) purchase of equipment for $48,000 cash in March.
The company has a cash balance of $80,000 at the beginning of February and wishes to maintain a minimum cash balance of $80,000 at the end of each month. An open line of credit is available at the bank and carries an annual interest rate of 12%. Assume that all borrowing is done on the first day of the month in which financing is needed and that all repayments are made on the last day of the month in which excess cash is available. Also assume that there is no outstanding financing as of February 1.
Requirements: Use this information to prepare a schedule of expected cash collections from customers for the months of February and March only. (Points : 30)
4. (TCO D) Your friend Dean has hired you to evaluate the following internal control procedures.
a) Explain to your friend whether each of the numbered items below is an internal control strength or weakness. You must also state which principle relates to each of the internal controls.
b) For the weaknesses, you also need to state a recommendation for improvement.
Bonding of the cashiers is not required because all of the cashiers have significant experience.
The treasurer is the only one allowed to sign checks.
All employees may operate cash registers.
Blank checks are stored in the safe.
Supervisors count cash receipts daily.
(Points : 30)
5. (TCOs D, E) Please prepare the following journal entries. Indicate which account should be debited and which account should be credited along with the dollar amount of the debit and credit.
a) Investors invested $100,000 in exchange for 10,000 shares of common stock.
b) Company paid a utility bill for $600
c) Company received cash of $15,000 for services performed
d) Company made payment on account for $1,000
e) Company received $12,000 for services not yet performed (Points : 30)
6. (TCO C) Please indicate which section of the statement of cash flows should contain each of the following items and whether each item would result in an inflow or outflow of cash. The sections are Operating, Investing, and Financing.
a) Issuance of capital stock
b) Depreciation of machinery
c) Purchased land to operate the business
d) Decrease in accounts payable
e) Payment of dividends (Points : 30)
Correct Complete w/ Solutions !! ACCOUNTANT you can trust ! Use it as a GUIDE
body preview (38 words)
xxxxxxxx Answers attached. xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx answers are xx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
xxx it xx x GUIDE x
xxxx xxxx x xxx wish you xxx xxxx !
Any xxxxxx or xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx contact me xxxxx xx we xxx settle xx xxxxxxxxx
file1.docx preview (1578 words)
xx xxxx A) A xxxxxxxxxxx has which of xxx xxxxxxxxx sets of characteristics? (Points : 5) Shared control, xxx xxxxxxxxxxx increased skills, and resources Simple xx set xx and maintains xxxxxxx with the xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx funds, xx personal xxxxxxxxx for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx xxxxx funds and gives owner control
xx (TCO A) xxx Dividends xxxxxxx xxxxxx (Points : 5) is xxxxxxxxx with a debit is xxxxxxxxx with a credit is not xx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx of xxx above
xx xxxxx xx B) xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx the following balances at xxx xxx xx xxx first year:
Cash $7,000 Prepaid xxxxxxxxx 700 Accounts receivable xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx 4,200 Common stock xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 700 Revenues xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx
xxxx did xxxxxx xxxxxxx show as xxxxx credits xx xxx trial balance? (Points : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx 2800 + 4200 + xxxx + xxxxx = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4. xxxxx B, E) Under xxx accrual xxxxx xx
- - - more text follows - - -
Buy this answer
Try it before you buy it